Andrew Smerczak-Zorza Leads AFP-Chicago Panel Discussion
On Thursday, June 21, Andy Smerczak-Zorza
, Executive Search Consultant, Campbell & Company, presented How AFP-Chicago Saved My Life (well, okay, my career)
with a panel of nonprofit leaders at an AFP-Chicago breakfast. Attendees discovered how involvement as a voluteer or participant with professional organizations can be a resource and inspiration in planning for now and the future. Additionally, they reviewed effective methods for career development in fundraising and how a professional organization can be a catalyst and an aid in career planning.
Joining Mr. Smerczak-Zorza were panelists:
- Ruth Hansen, Associate Director, Corporate, Government, and Foundation Relations at Saint Xavier University
- Christina Jensen, Director of Development at Hyde Park Art Center
- Alexander Pope, Executive Development Officer, Operations, Advocate Charitable Foundation
- Bob Shafis, Director of Development, The International Society for Stem Cell Research
About Andrew Smerczak-Zorza
Andrew Smerczak-Zorza is a member of Campbell & Company’s Executive Search team, in the Chicago office. Andy works with clients conducting top-level searches to paint a picture of both sides of the table, working to understand an organization’s needs on one side while conducting extensive research and outreach to candidates whose professional goals meet the client’s needs. This close relationship with the client is the basis of what Andy values most about his role. Having completed over 25 searches, Andy enjoys:
- Presenting clients with new, top-notch candidates that they are thrilled to meet.
- Knowing that top candidates will help our clients advance their missions.
- Conducting research to narrow the universe of potential candidates.
- Hearing from candidates who are excited to apply for positions and feeling like a successful matchmaker.
- Hearing from candidates when they’ve been selected as the successful candidate.
Prior to joining Campbell & Company, Andrew taught for four years in schools in the United States and abroad. From 2003 to 2006, he participated in The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme in Nagano Prefecture, Japan, where he served as an assistant English teacher at the junior-high level, as well as developed and taught an English curriculum in four elementary schools. As block leader for his region, he implemented a plan to assist more than 20 new and existing JET participants in the Saku area with their acclimation to daily and school life in Japan.
After returning to the U.S. in 2006, Andrew taught at St. Martin de Porres High School in Waukegan, Illinois. Andrew received his Bachelor of Arts from Albion College in Michigan, where he majored in History and Secondary Education and served as Vice President for the Organization for Latino/Awareness. Andrew remains an active alumnus of Albion College. He enjoys world traveling and is an avid Detroit sports fan.
For more information regarding the AFP-Chicago breakfast or Campbell & Company's executive search process, please contact Andrew Smerczak-Zorza.